Pre War Reproduction Lenses



About 1988, Irv Blonder asked me to look into making repro HL lenses, and another SO CAL chap to do the tail lenses, for Pierce Arrow. I started to gather data---learning that most of the front lenses were unique to Pierce. I started to gather part numbers. I learned that there were 46 different patterns for the front lenses, 1929 thru 1938. I ran ads asking about interest--demand: I got little feed back. I decided that glass was prohibitive--$5000-$10,000 per mold--plus production. I learned from IRV--that quality in ASIA--was poor--and long lead times. So I started to investigate polymers. I spent 2 years--trying 52 polymers--to meet all the criteria: clarity, correct size and optics, color stability, mold cost, production cost and proper EMQ. I spent 1900 hrs--in research. I had to create a correct part number list. I had to buy or borrow ORIGINAL patterns for molds. I had to learn mold making. Then I had to learn lense making. After over 2 years--of enthusiastic effort--I perfected a methamethacrylate. It has great optics, is UV stable, no shrink--reasonable cost--and low EMQ. So I made front lenses. There was some demand for 1933-34 M-B lenses (I have made about 30 pair)---very little demand for some (1929 McKee). I ended up making all front lenses--for all Pierce cars, from 1924 thru 1938.After about 15 years--the demand has stopped--so I ended the project. Some people were tire kickers--who might need them in the future--I decided this is not my lifes work--and I do not have the space to inventory molds and lenses. The project is over--most molds gone, a few lensesare left. During this process--the other chap decide not to make the tail lenses--so I stepped in to do that--.A completely different set of problems. Only 14 patterns, but 3 colors. There were no UV problems--but there were color matching---and finish concerns. Again I bought or borrowed ALL the rear lense patterns, and started to make molds. Then I started to work with the polymers, and dyes--to create a superior lense. The demand has waned, and now this project has ended. No more tail lenses to be made. A few remain. I also made lenses for other MARQUES--by request (CADILLAC LaSalle, PACKARD, CORD, Rolls Royce, DUESENBERG, BENTLEY). Thanks goes to alot of folks--for lending me priceless lenses--and trusting me--and to early collectors; who worked with me when I had clarity problems on early HL lenses. To those tire kickers--who would get back to me---or wanted to shop--I wish good fortune in finding rare items. If the lenses had been available--I would not have spent 8000 hours--over 25 years--doing this project. I only made items--that are UNAVAILABLE elsewhere.
newer post older post