Chrome shine and conservation



Can I get the Chrome shine back, please?

I find it a good investment of time to try and keep the chrome nice and shiny. Like most other things, chrome reacts to environment over time, but it is possible to slow down and almost stop the process. I've gathered some tips for others, and done a bit of testing myself as well.


How to protect the car's chrome when storing

Earlier I've tried out a few chrome polished, which I applied to the car's bumpers and chrome details in the start of the season and before winter storage (here in Norway the winter is long and cold with snow and salt on the roads - no climate for running a classic car).
Chrome polish is all good, but I still could see the chrome degrading. Another tip, which seem very good and has been tested over many years, was applying diesel oil/fuel (light spray) on the chrome before winter. This I have seen done on a Mustang for many years - the chrome is still perfect.
I contacted a well known chroming / re-chroming company, to get some tips on how to keep the chrome well protected. Their best tip was to apply Vaseline (without acid!) on the chrome before winter. This they have tested on chrome in salty/sea side environment (boats etc), with good results over time. For me both this tips works fine - the diesel is a bit easier to clean up in the spring time, though. I also got a lot of other tips, but these two I found best - no expencive, special stuff needed.

So the best tips would be:
  •  Light spray of Diesel oil/fuel
  • Vaseline (without acid)
  • In-season, chrome polish (wouldn't use it to often)

Vaseline - acid free

 How to get the shine back in old chrome

As for getting the shine back in older chrome, I've tested a few products. First of all, don't rub and polish chrome that is bright and perfect, too often. There is always a chance of damaging good chrome - so don't overdo it. Talking by experience.
I tried a product from Autosol called Kromglans - they advertice with cleaning away rust and getting the shine back, especially on old chrome. I tried it on a piece of older chrome with some visible corrosion and bubbles, and a piece of fairly new chrome. First - I'm not using it on mint chrome anymore - it got clean, but some light wear could be seen. To get the compund cleaned away after applied, some rubbing has to be done, which could lead to visible wear.

On the old chrome - I could see the chrome being cleaned, or at least more shiny, but I couldn't see any change in the corrosion areas. I am not convinced really, I have seen the similar effect of earlier tested compinds/polishes. One element I have no idea of, is to what degree any of these products will have a negative impact on the chrome over time. Kromglans has done well in tests.

If you have really tough spots/problem areas, then you can use steel wool (meant for chrome polish, very fine grades).


Chrome before applying Kromglans

Same piece after Kromglans treatment - click to enlarge


Products mentioned
Kromglans from Autosol: https://autosol.com/shop/category/auto-care/
More about chrome polishes: http://www.squidoo.com/chromepolish
Steel wool: http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/steelwool.htm

I find this site interessting regarding re-chroming:
http://www.rechromebumper.com/process.cfm

Something was cleaned away between the pictures above.


The article will be updated with new information, if new ideas/suggestions comes in.

Morten
newer post older post